Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by bertol: webwml/english/Bugs server-control.wml

On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 16:19 +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 03:06:17PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
[..]
> > One cannot, however, use "archive" to archive a bug that has not
> > previously been archived. The first archiving of a bug will occur when
> > it meets the BTS' criteria for doing so, and cannot be forced to occur
> > at an earlier time.
> >
> > The wording of Nicolas's change does not differentiate between the case
> > of a bug that has been unarchived using "unarchive" and a bug that has
> > never been archived before. I assume that's what Don is objecting to -
> > "archive" can only be used to /re/-archive a previously archived bug.
>
> Nicolas and my proposed change is not wrong as only previously archived
> bugs can be unarchived. That's why it's not wrong to write: "Archives a
> bug that was previously unarchived".

It's ambiguous. A bug that's never been archived is also "unarchived".
(i.e. the word "unarchived" purely indicates that a bug is not currently
archived; it does not necessarily imply that the bug /used/ to be
archived).

Your suggested change doesn't make it clear that "archive" can't be
applied to a bug that has not been archived previously, at least imo.
Don's wording isn't ideal either but is unambiguous in that "archive"
can only be applied to bugs that have been archived at some point in the
past.

Adam