Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by bertol: webwml/english/Bugs server-control.wml

On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 11:59 +0200, Nicolas Bertolissio wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 11:21:56AM -0600, Debian WWW CVS wrote:
> > > CVSROOT:	/cvs/webwml
> > > Module name:	webwml
> > > Changes by:	bertol	07/06/22 11:21:56
> > >
> > > Modified files:
> > > 	english/Bugs   : server-control.wml
> > >
> > > Log message:
> > > 	Archives a bug that was previously unarchived
> >
> > I'm sure this change is right. Nevertheless Don denied this change the
> > last time I asked for it
> > (http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2007/06/msg00091.html).
>
> Sorry, I'm going to revert this change so, but I don't understand the
> meaning of this sentense. Please Don, could you explain in other words
> what this command does so I can translate this correctly into French.

Historically, the BTS archived a bug 28 days after it was closed and the
only way to unarchive it was to persuade owner@bugs to do so.

It's now possible to unarchive a bug using the new "unarchive" command.
One can also re-archive such a bug using "archive" which will
immediately return the bug's state to "archived", assuming it still
meets the criteria usually applied for archiving (with the exception
that any time-based criteria are ignored).

One cannot, however, use "archive" to archive a bug that has not
previously been archived. The first archiving of a bug will occur when
it meets the BTS' criteria for doing so, and cannot be forced to occur
at an earlier time.

The wording of Nicolas's change does not differentiate between the case
of a bug that has been unarchived using "unarchive" and a bug that has
never been archived before. I assume that's what Don is objecting to -
"archive" can only be used to /re/-archive a previously archived bug.

Adam