Re: Doubts and Ideas

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 06:23:44PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > It's unlikely that our web pages have much content for which there
> > isn't prior art, or simply common knowledge.
>
> Prior art isn't an issue, since it's not patented.

I meant that thing that makes copyright applicable - a modicum of
originality. The vast majority of our web site content is simply not
original, because of the nature of the web site, which is to describe the
established facts regarding Debian. These facts are pre-existent, and
editors mostly can't claim the exclusive right (copyright) on them.
There's a handful of essay-like materials where there's significant added
value in the text, and the non-content stuff like code and design,
but the copyrightability of everything else to the editor of the web site
is at least moot.

> In any event, to resolve this issue completely all that we need is 1)
> a GPG signed email from every contributor saying that they either
> assign copyright of their contributions to SPI or give SPI a
> non-exclusive royalte-free license to do with the copyright work as
> they see fit 2) a directive from the DPL to SPI to license the work
> under GPL (or MIT/Expat or whatever -www decides.)
>
> #1 should probably be made a part of the proceedure that is followed
> when you get commit access to the cvs, and #2 is simply a matter of
> e-mailing leader@ once -www decides which licence.

Yeah.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.