Re: Doubts and Ideas

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:
> I remember that some people complained about given their copyright
> to SPI (or $whoever), I think we should go with both options, I'm
> only afraid about having material licensed under incompatible
> licenses (could that happen?).

We'd either want them to give the copyright to SPI or license SPI such
that SPI can sublicense under any other license. That way we won't
have to ever worry about licensing issues again; if we decide in the
future that license X is the way to go, we get SPI to license it that
way, and we're good to go.

> I don't think we should have an endless discussion about something
> that would be extremely hard to happen, in my opinion, MIT/Expat
> seems to be a good license for the website and I would vote for that
> one.

Yeah; my personal opinion is MIT/Expat or GPL. I don't really care
which we choose. [And if we do what I suggest above, we can always
change later.]

> Don, I volunteer to help you. I can help with the Brazilian
> contributors, we are going to need to also ask help of other
> translations team.

Thanks! Let me try to steal some verbiage here and come up with a game
plan.

> And considering a lot of other people have infinite more
> understading of Copyright issues, what should we do if we can't
> find/contact the contributor and/or he/she decides to not relicense
> it? Is it possible to remove the content and rewrite it free?

If for some reason we can't find a contributor (or a contributor has
fallen off the face of the planet) we should indicate as such and
probably just assume that they meant to give us free reign. If they
decide not to license it appropriately, then we should rip whatever it
is out of the webpage and rewrite it.

We probably should also come up with a set of guidelines for
contributors so that we avoid accidentally ending up with work not
written by a contributor in the website too. (Or at least, have such
work be clearly marked.)

Don Armstrong

--
I'd never hurt another living thing.