Re: Language problem

Gerfried Fuchs wrote:

>>Besides, this is really one of the very few websites with this problem
>
>  Go to <http://www.gnu.org/>, or any other website that uses content
> negotiation.

Now that's a website where it's done right!
- No 'font download pop ups'
- Clear link to translations at the top
- Plus links to other languages at the bottom
- Only a popup when I click a not supported language, which I can see
  beforehand

At gnu.org the HTML is: <a href="/home.pt.html">Português</a>

At debian.org it is: <a rel="alternate" lang="pt" hreflang="pt" title="Portuguese" href="about.pt.html">Português</a>&nbsp;

So you have to ask yourself what added value the language references in the HTML brings. I'd say: non in this case.

>>(as long as you don't click on a link which is clearly a non supported
>>language and you know what to expect). Whatever the unwanted reaction
>>from the browser, it's trigged by the website and can be avoided. (I'm
>>only trying to help).
>
> So you want us to remove a helpful feature because of some browser
> that doesn't do the sensible thing? Sorry, the thing doesn't work that
> way.

No, not remove (when it serves a purpose), but find a better solution.

>>But maybe you can read on a few messages, the solution can be quite
>>elegant, with an image :)
>
>  No, it can't. Images are a real handicap for disabled persons, and
> won't work on textmode browsers, which are also quite popular amongst
> our users.

Good point indeed, in general, not so much on the language pages.
Could be solved by slicing images and alternate text, but that's a bit over the top :) I only now looked into the HTML, but I guess leaving out the language references is the simple way to solve the problem.

Leaves one point in your next mail :)

Best,
Boyd Noorda