Re: Language problem

* "[Admin at dDH]" <boyd2003@ddh.nl> [2004-10-16 03:54]:
> To: Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org>

 Please don't send me Ccs, I read this list, in fact I replied to a mail
you sent to this list, so....

>>  Go to <http://www.gnu.org/>, or any other website that uses content
>> negotiation.
>
> Now that's a website where it's done right!
> - Clear link to translations at the top

 They aren't clear, they are in the same language as the page. So, how
do they help people that don't understand the language?

> - Plus links to other languages at the bottom

 Which are worse than ours, as far as I can see. I've gone to
<http://www.gnu.org/home.da.html>, and how should I know that Tysk means
German? I have no fscking idea...  Sorry, those aren't better, in no
way.  :)

> - Only a popup when I click a not supported language, which I can see
>   beforehand

 You seem you can? I can't....

> At gnu.org the HTML is: <a href="/home.pt.html">Português</a>
>
> At debian.org it is: <a rel="alternate" lang="pt" hreflang="pt"
> title="Portuguese" href="about.pt.html">Português</a>&nbsp;

 That lang="" might be the problem...  What for is it needed exactly?

> So you have to ask yourself what added value the language references in
> the HTML brings. I'd say: non in this case.

 The support is there for purpose and should be used. Just because
mozilla does illbehave isn't a good reasoning for not supporting it. I
guess you wouldn't be that strong after it if it would be an Internet
Explorer bug that you want to have been worked around....

>> So you want us to remove a helpful feature because of some browser
>> that doesn't do the sensible thing? Sorry, the thing doesn't work that
>> way.
>
> No, not remove (when it serves a purpose), but find a better solution.

 If you find a better solution, feel free to raise it. So far you
haven't shown one.

>>  No, it can't. Images are a real handicap for disabled persons, and
>> won't work on textmode browsers, which are also quite popular amongst
>> our users.
>
> Good point indeed, in general, not so much on the language pages.

 Of course, still.

> Could be solved by slicing images and alternate text, but that's a bit
> over the top :)

 I am in no way convinced that mozilla wouldn't like to download the
font files for the alternate text neither.

> I only now looked into the HTML, but I guess leaving out the language
> references is the simple way to solve the problem.

 And that helps in what way?

 So long,
Alfie
--