Re: Language problem

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 09:35:29PM -0700, Matt Kraai wrote:

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 04:10:10PM +0200, [Admin at dDH] wrote:

We (ddh.nl) link to http://www.debian.org/intro/about.nl.html from our home page. When I follow this link With Mozilla (1.5), a pop-up asks me to download a Korean font of 2.1 MB, with 'download' selected as default :-(

Mozilla probably wants to download the font because of the Korean
characters at the bottom of the page which identify the Korean
translation.

I don't know of a better solution.

Probably bug Mozilla so that you don't have to answer "NO I DON'T WANT TO
DONWLOAD THOSE FONTS!" every time you access a page at debian.org after
starting up the browser. The answer is kept in memory is for one browser
session but not when a new browser is started up, it should behave like the
'do you want to remember this form?', 'do you want me to store cookies?')

I don't agree. And remember Mozilla is the most compliant browser.
If you put a language font on a page, it's logical Mozilla wants to download it. The user should not have to experiment with cookies to prevent that, 'normal' people don't use cookies or delete them. I've tried http://www.debian.org/intro/about.de.html and now it wants to download a Japanese font too :-(

There is a very simple solution: DON'T PUT THESE FONTS ON THESE PAGES!
If you think you need this: you need it on the English home page only, and at the top of the page. Best would be one 'language link'. And BTW, I don't think there are users out there who don't know what their language is called in English.

On other home pages it is useless: people don't scroll down a page which they can't read, to see if there might be a language link for them ;-)

This is typically too 'user friendly': Maybe, maybe you will help one Korean user a year who by accident ended up at the Finnish home page .... Or a Russian user who ended up at the Italian home page.
(And by accident scrolled down :)

The price for that is thousands of users ending up wasting their time, installing a language they don't even understand, by accident!
Kinda 'spyware like' ...
And if people do understand what's going on: they will hate you for that.

Please let me know what you do. Being a responsible webmaster myself, I will stop linking to debian.org if this problem persists ...

All the best,
Boyd Noorda

--

N.B. Het afzender- en antwoord-adres van deze E-mail zijn tijdelijk.
Neem deze adressen s.v.p. niet op in adresboek of verzendlijst.

Note: The sender and reply-to addresses of this E-mail are temporary.
Please do not add these addresses to addressbooks or lists.
Current dDH addresses: http://www.ddh.nl/contact