Re: events/materials/posters

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 03:47:41PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:

> > 	c) are handled by those same people and might easily change over
> > time leaving the main site with dangled links.
>
> It is also possible that I accidentally move or remove those web pages, how
> do we account for that? :) Anything can happen, this is not relevant.

	That'w what CVS is for isnt' it? IMHO this is relevant. We can
recover from changes done on the CVS or on files done on master (or any
server that is backup'd) but we cannot (easily) recover from changes made
beyond our control... (examples below)

> > then why isn't it officially acknowledged? (and I'm talking about stuff in
> > w.d.o./devel here)
>
> It's a fraction less official when it's on people.debian.org instead of
> www.debian.org. The difference is in the fact it we don't burden twenty
> mirrors with the additional megabytes, plus eventual updates.

	So. The question still stands, are we going to limit the things we
include to our website due to size restrictions? As far as I know (and I
will probably be wrong) there has been no problem due to it being added (no
broken mirrors). We also do have a page (w.d.o/mirror/size) which states how
big should mirrors be in order to accomodate properly.

> > 	I did move these information available (but almost lost unless you
> > dug out the list archives) from people.debian.org to www.debian.org please
> > don't hide it *again*
>
> It was only "hidden" because no www.d.o page linked to it. You overfixed
> that problem, so to speak :)

	Well, IMHO I fixed it permanently so neither Anand nor the web team
has to do any more management of the information available there. I'm
talking about danglyng links for example because of developers abandoning the proyect and their
accounts being removed, I'm not saying that Anand is going to live BTW :)

> Note also that there's a precedent for my point -- one of cdimage.debian.org
> web pages links to CD art graphics to external sites. Worked fine for me!

	That was a decision taken by the www team? I don't recall we
discussing that issue here. If that is the case, that precedent is just as
valid (only previous in time) that the one I just set when I included that
information in w.d.o.
	In any case, I feel it's better to compile this information than to
make it point "outside". This is called "centralization" and avoids loss of
information since many things can happen to remote services which are not
dependent on us (people administering them change and remove provided
content, information is lost w/o backups, a user no longer has an account on
the server, etc.. Much effort has to be taken (when the need arises) if the
information is lost that is avoided if we mirror valuable information
ourselves (at least we keep a copy)

	Could we settle this matter in any way? How should we proceed in
order to have an *official* and documented statement (maybe in
w.d.o/devel/website) on what information can be published, which can't and
on which terms. I do not imply that my actions where in no manner official,
they were just due to having some spare time and not wanting other
developers to have to spend the same time I did last april (this year and
last year) in order to gather useful stuff to setup a booth...

	Whatever is the official decision on this matter I will uphold to
it, as I have done for many others. But please note that I, personally,
would like to be able to mirror the website and have *all* the information
that Debian offers to the public and not have to worry about things pointing
to auric.debian.org, master.debian.org, people.debian.org or whatever.
Specially when we are talking about things stabilized (sp?) and not yet
under development.

	Regards

	Javi

PD: For the same reason I would like cdimage.debian.org to be available from
*within* the CVS infraestructure of w.d.o like vote.debian.org and others
are... not that I think that they are not doing a good job regarding this
site...