Re: events/materials/posters

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 01:58:53PM +0200, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:
> > Can we move http://www.debian.org/events/materials/posters/ to ~akumria or
> > something? These posters are as uninteresting to the general public as 1997
> > security advisories, but the latter aren't >40 MB...
> 	Why do you inssit that they are uninsteresting

Not that many people have A1-size printers to print those posters on, and
even those who do don't necessarily want to do so. Those that do would be
able to get it from people.debian.org, even if it is slower than their
nearest mirror, it will take them some time to download it anyway.

> and why do you insist on driving this information from the main page
> (www.debian.org) which gets backuped and mirrored to people pages which
> 	a) are not controlled by debian-www team

The debian-www team can change links in case anything happens. (And I doubt
what will happen anyway, this would become links to our server)

www.d.o is not any more often backed up than public_html dirs are, AFAIK.

> 	c) are handled by those same people and might easily change over
> time leaving the main site with dangled links.

It is also possible that I accidentally move or remove those web pages, how
do we account for that? :) Anything can happen, this is not relevant.

> 	IMHO *all* information pointed from www.debian.org to
> people.debian.org should be integrated on the main site. If it's useful
> then why isn't it officially acknowledged? (and I'm talking about stuff in
> w.d.o./devel here)

It's a fraction less official when it's on people.debian.org instead of
www.debian.org. The difference is in the fact it we don't burden twenty
mirrors with the additional megabytes, plus eventual updates.

> 	I did move these information available (but almost lost unless you
> dug out the list archives) from people.debian.org to www.debian.org please
> don't hide it *again*

It was only "hidden" because no www.d.o page linked to it. You overfixed
that problem, so to speak :)

Note also that there's a precedent for my point -- one of cdimage.debian.org
web pages links to CD art graphics to external sites. Worked fine for me!

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.