Re: new front page, take 1

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 06:23:04PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 12:12:48PM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > > Which reminds me, I need to bug the admins again (JT?) to change the log
> > > format so we can see useragents. I'm really starting to believe CSS would be
> > > acceptable for the vast majority of viewers, but we should have more
> > > numbers.
> >
> > Tell me the change and I'll do it. If you want me to do it, just yell at
> > me and I'll figure it out myself. :)
>
> Actually, for testing purposes I tried doing it locally but I can't seem to
> get it done. I tried using 'CustomLog /var/log/apache/access.log combined'
> in /etc/apache/httpd.conf but it didn't change the log file. After
> restarting Apache, of course.

That's the right command, depending on which log file you want to use.
I'm surprised it didn't work though there was some strange issue about
virtual hosts and log formats but that was a while ago and I
don't remember specifics.

You also need a line like:
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined

It's like common except it has referer and user-agent.

BTW, I think using CSS would be a great idea and would then clear up a
lot of things and make them standardised.  For example if we didn't
particularly like that particular yellow we can change it, also you
start to use things like h1 instead of font which is good for links.

Netscape will bork them up, but then again Netscape screws pretty much
everything up so I wouldn't be too worried about that. My version of
Gaelon messes some things up too, but Galeon is buggy; it renders a page
I know differently every second refresh, nice huh.

A bad example that is almost w3c compliant is at
http://people.debian.org/~csmall/ipv6/

It's good enough for me, I suspect it needs a bit more work but I'm not
too worried about it.  It's also xhtml.  BTW Dennis, I haven't put your
no <ul> in <p> changes yet :/

  - Craig

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>