Re: Obsolete mirror list in debian install

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 12:11:13PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > A number of mirror maintainers asked that their address not be made
> > public. Some may not agree with that, but they are volunteering
> > the service so I think we should go along with their wish.
>
> Well, it _is_ public. I hope they know that it is available on public
> CVS, which is available amoung other places on http://cvs.debian.org/
> and is in a debian package that has been burnt to hundreds of thousands of
> CD's and is installed on every potato system by default..

It's not indexed by web crawlers and is not displayed prominently, though,
and we prefer to keep it that way.

FWIW I found a few sites (run by developers) that actidentally had the file
displayed for googlebot to see, and had the page owners remove it :)

> > All we need to do is to prune the master list so only the needed
> > info is shown on the public page. Give me a format you want the
> > data in and you'll have a new, public page in short order.
>
> I need the same format we have now. grep -v Maintainer: on it would seem
> to work if that really satisfies these people's concerns.

We can make a script to update a public copy of the file along with the
other quarterdaily(sp?) cronjobs on www-master.

Any preferred location for the file, and name?