debian site design thoughts (was Re: [michael@itd.utech.de: A big THANK YOU!])

On 06 Nov 2000 at 22:15 (+0100), peter karlsson wrote:
| Josip Rodin:
|
| > Is that fixed size? I can't parse ".9em" offhand, but I'm guessing
| > it's not variable because I remember setting up my fonts preferences
| > to use bigger font size.
|
| ".9em" means "I think the user is stupid and don't know what font size
| he wants to use, so I shrink it to 90% of whatever he/she thinks is the
| best size".

... or maybe, "The person who hacked up the style sheet (me) was too
stupid to just change the default font size in his browser." ;-)

| > I've CC:ed the debian-www list (you don't have to be subscribed to post
| > there BTW) so that other can see and comment on your page.
|

| Immediate comments:
|
| 1. What does the "ANDSDS" mean (and is the S placed in the link list)?

please see reply to Jossip.

| 2. I like my font size, that's why I set it. The base font size should
|    *always* be 1em.

fixed.

| 3. The links on the right are unreadable because of the font size being
|    diminished.

fixed?

| 4. Why does the link bar take up half the page width?

that I can't understand - can you screenshot it? it is set to
min-width: 140px;
What browser are you viewing it with? As I said to start with, this
is (for now) only known to work in mozilla >m18.

| 5. The colour scheme is nice - except for the red.

ok. i nixed the red links.

cheers.
  brent

--
All opinions expressed are My own, unless otherwise attributed. In
presenting facts, I expressly reserve the right to be Wrong. Portions