Re: [michael@itd.utech.de: A big THANK YOU!]

On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 11:07:48PM -0500, brent verner wrote:

> | > Yeah, that's right... But the website could be more attractive.. A user
> | > doesn't want to download debian when he sees the webpage...
> |
> | BTW the web site team would welcome any help from people who can do web
> | designing, e.g. good icons, nice layouts, etc.
>
> ok, this weekend I played HTML-designer... the product of my toils
> can be viewed at debian.rcfile.org. you _will_ need a browser that
> renders HTML-4.01 strict properly (meaning Mozilla M18) right now.
> if the design is agreeable, I may be able to help _some_ with
> churning out HTML that lesser browsers (Netscape 4.x) can render.

I used Mozilla M17 to view it. It looks quite cool, although the fonts are a
bit too small. Is that fixed size? I can't parse ".9em" offhand, but I'm
guessing it's not variable because I remember setting up my fonts
preferences to use bigger font size.

The "H A N D S D S" part wasn't immediately obvious what it was for, so I
didn't like it.

The incompatibility with old-class Nescaffe browsers would pose a large
problem -- Mozilla still isn't too widely used.

> FWIW, it _still_ looks good in lynx, though a few alt="..." tags
> would make lynxing the page better :)

That shouldn't be a problem.

> oh, btw, made with gimp/vim/Mozilla. we don't need no stinking
> wintendo tools to do _decent_ design, just a bit of time :)

Yes :)

> and sorry for the personal email, but I _really_ don't want to
> subscribe to -www, as it would eat away at more of my limited time
> to get some real hacking done ;-), though do feel free to cc me on
> any communication WRT this HTML-hack.

I've CC:ed the debian-www list (you don't have to be subscribed to post
there BTW) so that other can see and comment on your page.