debian site design thoughts (was Re: [michael@itd.utech.de: A big THANK YOU!])

Hi,

wow... sorry for not replying sooner -- a procmail filter stuffed all
of this mail into an old 'debian' mail folder (I now have deb lists
by -devel -user)

On 06 Nov 2000 at 21:38 (+0100), Josip Rodin wrote:
> [...]
| > |
| > | BTW the web site team would welcome any help from people who can do web
| > | designing, e.g. good icons, nice layouts, etc.
| >
| > ok, this weekend I played HTML-designer... the product of my toils
| > can be viewed at debian.rcfile.org. you _will_ need a browser that
| > renders HTML-4.01 strict properly (meaning Mozilla M18) right now.
| > if the design is agreeable, I may be able to help _some_ with
| > churning out HTML that lesser browsers (Netscape 4.x) can render.
|
| I used Mozilla M17 to view it. It looks quite cool, although the fonts are a

thanks. i'm using mozilla m18, so anything visible at this point in
time is only known to work in that...

| bit too small. Is that fixed size? I can't parse ".9em" offhand, but I'm
| guessing it's not variable because I remember setting up my fonts
| preferences to use bigger font size.

yes. I've changed that to 1em except for where a larger font is desired.
could you check it again.

| The "H A N D S D S" part wasn't immediately obvious what it was for, so I
| didn't like it.

agreed. the HANDSDS just ended up there... mostly i was trying to
decide if there should be some graphic/icon links in that space...
the letters were just space-fillers which happen to be the first
letter of each section of the debian site...

| The incompatibility with old-class Nescaffe browsers would pose a large
| problem -- Mozilla still isn't too widely used.

agreed, unfortunately :\ I can put some time into creating a table
-based version if/once a design is agreed upon, but I _really_ think
the site should be designed with an eye toward forsaking the old, non-
compliant browsers at some point in time.

cheers.
  brent

--
All opinions expressed are My own, unless otherwise attributed. In
presenting facts, I expressly reserve the right to be Wrong. Portions