Re: Looking for feedback - improving the site, translation process and wml setup

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 09:09:22PM +0100, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:

> > Since this will involve doing quite a few changes to the existing setup,
> > this would be a good time to implement other changes. I am asking
> > for suggestions of things that people would like to see added or changed
> > that will improve the site or quality of translations, or simply make the
> > job of the translators easier.
>
> 	Well, I think it will be user friendly to tell the readers when
> translators are not updated. I have not received any comments on my
> translator-check (which BTW I sent in after I got in military service four
> months ago). But I think this could be used instead of the
> <!-- translation xx.xx --> currently used (which is simple to change in the
> perl programs that check the translation) and add more information for
> users.

Something I have not made clear in the past is that these translation helpers
need to be organized by the translators. It's not that I'm not interested
in making your life easier, it is simply that I'm not doing a translation.
Someone who has to deal with this is in a better situation to come up with
a good system. This is related to item 4 below.

Having said that, I will do what I can to help you out.

> 	Other ideas are:
>
> 1.- the DDP should be moved into the site (not where it currently is since
> it is neither mirrored nor easily accesed)
>
> 2.- the DDP should be adapted to allow for translations (there are currently
> some translated documents sitting on CVS but not visible on the web site
> IIRC)

This is something I can help with. I'll see what I can do.

> 3.- we should give *priorities* to the information on the site, so translators
> can easily know where to focus first or what to keep more track off.

My feeling is that the pages accessed by newbies are the most important.
Stuff under devel/ and mirror/ are of low importance since only developers
or people running mirrors would be interested in them.

I've been meaning to redo the HOWTO_translate document. I'll take care of
this when I reorganize it.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org