Re: debian gnu/linux

On Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 12:48:51AM +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> > > ALT specifies what replaces the image when it cannot be displayed.
> > > It should *not* be a description of the picture, unless the description
> > > is relevant to the rest of the text.
> >
> > I disagree.
>
> How is this a matter of opinion?  Read the HTML 4.0 spec: "Do not
> specify meaningless alternate text (e.g., "dummy text"). Not only will
> this frustrate users, it will slow down user agents that must convert
> text to speech or braille output." (13.8)
>
> Indeed: at the start of every Debian page, imagine the computer reading
> out loud "opening bracket swirl closing bracket".

Stupid, eh? :)

Still, I don't agree this is meaningless ALT text nor that the ALT should
be left empty. Call me a lunatic.

> > > The swirl is a decoration and carries no information.
> >
> > Not quite.
>
> It is a decoration.  It does carry information, but only in the visual
> form - it is the picture which is our logo, not the string "swirl".

With empty ALT, graphics-less browsing people wouldn't know that there
is a logo there.

> > Still, I think having [swirl] there would be good. People using lynx would
> > at least wonder what this "swirl" is, and download the Logo and view it
> > later.
>
> People using lynx will just get irritated.  "[swirl]" adds no information
> to most Debian pages!

I use lynx regularly and this is the last thing that would irritate me.
Something like "debian-logo-swirl-without-text-143-23.jpg (143112 bytes)"
wouldn't bother me two bits these days, after all of these years browsing.
YMMV, IMHO, <insert-your-favorite-disclaimer-here>.

I'd say let's just drop this pointless discussion and let the people who are
editing those pages do what they think it's best.

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name