Re: debian gnu/linux

On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 11:27:44PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > ALT specifies what replaces the image when it cannot be displayed.
> > It should *not* be a description of the picture, unless the description
> > is relevant to the rest of the text.
>
> I disagree.

How is this a matter of opinion?  Read the HTML 4.0 spec: "Do not
specify meaningless alternate text (e.g., "dummy text"). Not only will
this frustrate users, it will slow down user agents that must convert
text to speech or braille output." (13.8)

Indeed: at the start of every Debian page, imagine the computer reading
out loud "opening bracket swirl closing bracket".

> > The swirl is a decoration and carries no information.
>
> Not quite.

It is a decoration.  It does carry information, but only in the visual
form - it is the picture which is our logo, not the string "swirl".

> Still, I think having [swirl] there would be good. People using lynx would
> at least wonder what this "swirl" is, and download the Logo and view it
> later.

People using lynx will just get irritated.  "[swirl]" adds no information
to most Debian pages!

                                  ""
                             (John Cage)