Re: debian gnu/linux

On Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 12:21:32AM +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> > Why an empty string? IMHO something like ALT="[swirl]" would be fine,
> > and non-intrusive.
>
> ALT specifies what replaces the image when it cannot be displayed.
> It should *not* be a description of the picture, unless the description
> is relevant to the rest of the text.

I disagree.

> Using ALT="[swirl]" is evil - almost as evil as the infamous ALT="[Company
> Logo]".

I think I know what you mean, but I don't have anything against [Company
Logo], on a page of some company. YMMV.

> The swirl is a decoration and carries no information.

Not quite.

> Hence the alt attribute should be empty.

Still, I think having [swirl] there would be good. People using lynx would
at least wonder what this "swirl" is, and download the Logo and view it
later.

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name