Re: Concern about racism and sexism in Supertuxkart 0.9

Miriam Ruiz escrebeu:
> > I am devastated.
> >
> > In trying to understand the role of sexism in the game community, I have
> > discovered that this is not an isolated issue of this game:
>
> No, it is certainly not, and it's not even exclusive of video games.
> It kind of extends throughout many other geek spaces, including Free
> Software. Proprietary game developers are starting to react and trying
> to move towards finding a solution to the problem, though.
>
> A good place to find about that is Geek Feminism Wikia, if you're
> interested: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/

Thanks for the reference. It is so comforting to know that such
initiatives are already working towards solving that issue! Also have
you seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/user/feministfrequency

I discovered that during my research, that is awesome!

I had of course some sense about the existence of that problem. I have
first person knowledge of very skilled women suffering all the range
from invisibilization to aggression, therefore limiting or avoiding
their contribution to Debian or Free Software. But what I am finding
now is too far away of what I was prepared to expect. It is sort of
embarrasing for me, because it has been probably my 'male-ity' what has
been hidden the dimension of the problem to me. The worst thing is that
I am clearly identifying that same cognitive bias in many of the
messages that I am reading.

I think that debugging sexism from Debian is a constructive approach to
explore alternative pathways to overcome this problem. It seems like the
censorship approach seems to trivialize the problem building on some
tradition to cartooning sexism as a matter of artistic expression.

Feel free to get in touch if you have suggestions about how I/ we could
better contribute to patch this bug in Debian.