Re: debian-women / female GSoC candidates

* Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au> [2014-03-14 10:23:35 +0100]:

> On 14/03/14 10:15, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> There are several female candidates for GSoC (both in Debian and also in
> >> Ganglia where I am one of the admins this year)
> >>
> >> I'm just wondering if there are any female DDs who may not want to be a
> >> mentor for any arbitrary project but may participate as a co-mentor on a
> >> project where there is a female student?
> >>
> >> For example, while one mentor may be able to help the student with the
> >> technical aspects of the project, an additional mentor may be able to
> >> help the student become familiar with the community at large even if
> >> they don't have time to become fully involved in the individual GSoC
> >> project.
> > I think it's a great Idea, and probably more productive than doing any
> > of both things alone. Would it help if the female co-mentor is
> > familiar with the project itself, or it's totally irrelevant? Like,
> > for example, say that the project involves aspects thet the co-mentor
> > is not familiar with (like a particular programming language or the
> > tools used for developing whatever the project is about), or the idea
> > is to keep both things -development of the project and involvement in
> > debian structures- independent?
>
> Any positive contribution from a co-mentor is going to be very welcome
>
> Knowing the tools and technologies is obviously beneficial but it is not
> everything.
>
> There have been several cases where projects have been completed but it
> has not been possible to deploy them or utilize them within Debian.  In
> these cases what has been missing is the interaction with the wider
> community, DSA, etc - so just having somebody who knows the way the
> community operates can help close that gap.
>
> In the past, many of the students have attended DebConf as well - if
> there are several co-mentors on the project, there is more probability
> that one will be able to meet the student at DebConf

Hi,

I just stumbled across this thread, and I agree that it is a great idea to seek
help from other people to integrate our GSoC students better in our community.
We welcome any effort to that effect, be that under the debian-women umbrella
for women interns specifically, or from anybody really.

If you want to keep in touch with GSoC activities, you can subscribe to the
soc-coordination mailing list on alioth[1], where the students can send their
enquiries and will report on their projects.

Thanks a bunch!