Re: Span cleaning effort (done!)

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 02:28:28PM +0100, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Francesca Ciceri (madamezou@debian.org):
>
> > I'm not completely sure about it.
> > I mean: they are clearly disturbing and stupid messages, and a lot of
> > dangerous trolling (dangerous for the ideas in the messages, not for the
> > trolling itself), but on the other hand I think that it's important to
> > have those messages visible to all, as a warning and reminder of what
> > happened.
> > I know that they are really disturbing, but without that in the archive
> > I, for example, have never known about that situation.
> >
> > I don't think that in the second stage they have to be tagged as spam,
> > but surely they could be tagged as "inappropriate".
> >
> > What do you think about it?
>
> This is really a matter of personal taste. I will tag them as spam but
> I understand that others may prefer tagging as inappropriate.
>
> To explain my position : this person intentionnally spammed the
> mailing list with hate messages. He also harrassed several d-w
> contributors in private and was "banned" from the mailing list by
> listmasters (however, as he was constantly changing origin mail
> address, this had no real effect).
>
> I consider that tagging his "mails" as spam is indeed applying the
> list ban.

Spam is unwanted email, and hate mail is certainly unwanted, but I can not
really recall ever seeing a 491 scam or other similar emails containting
targeted hateful messagaes. So it seems like, to me, there are 'hate' spam and
non-'hate' spam where the latter can be deleted without a thought. The former
is evidence of a crime but not one that is useful to expose to the general
public but not useful to cover-up. So I had an idea: keep an archive of the
hate spam and replace the visible archive message with a placeholder that
requires someone to ask to see it. This way the crime scene in preserved but
the hate is not on-display to average viewers. This is just my own thought and
I dont expect it to be adopted. Or maybe the idea can be revised to have merit.

--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President.  Now
I'm beginning to believe it.
		-- Clarence Darrow