Re: Let's put some energy back into Debian Women

	Hi!

 Please Cc me on replies, I currently haven't subscribed the list. I'll
try to follow through the archives just in case. :)

* Patty Langasek <harmoney@dodds.net> [2010-08-19 01:59:50 CEST]:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 09:56:25PM +0200, Karolina Kalic wrote:
> > I am a female maintainer (maintaining pidgin-microblog), and hopefully
> > a DM, and even DD one day. But I'm new to programing, and would need
> > help with dealing with bugs, for a start. So, this is one of my
> > suggestion for one of a training session that could be held on IRC.
>

> Actually, this is a common issue people request training for, and I know
> there have been multiple bug squashing training sessions, with presentation
> notes posted afterwards and made available to everyone.

 I actually did hold a similar session for Ubuntu:
<http://rhonda.deb.at/blog/ubuntu/BTS-talk.en.html> (notice the IRC logs
link in the last paragraph for the logs)

 And I did a fair amount of writeup on it these days, too:
<http://rhonda.deb.at/blog/debian/on-BTS-usage.html>

 Maybe these can be helpful - and I am willing to potential repeat the
IRC session in #debian-women too, if that's what could help here.
Actually pabs did bring up the idea recently to me that it would be good
to not have to (ab)use the Ubuntu ressources but rather start something
like that in the Debian environment itself too so that people are more
aware of what they might help in the Debian environment with.

> It probably wouldn't be a bad idea (if it isn't done already) to have
> those presentation notes clearly marked and pointed to through
> Debian-Women resources (website, IRC, etc.) for people to browse
> through, and maybe a live tutorial reguarly (I'm thinking every 6
> months or so?) to keep it fresh in any developers' minds. It'd be nice
> if those tutorials were open to anyone interested in Debian
> bug-squashing, too.

 Right - actually don even did invite me to adjust the writing to
include it with the debbugs documentation. Especially the version
tracking is still something that is a lot of confusing to very many
people, long standing Debian Developers included, and through my QA work
I regularly stumble upon different misunderstandings of how people would
think things to work.

 So, cut short, I'm willing to help out if noone else wants to give it a
try on their own; even for other potential topics too.

 Enjoy!
Rhonda
--
"Lediglich 11 Prozent der Arbeitgeber sind der Meinung, dass jeder
Mensch auch ein Privatleben haben sollte."