Re: Thinking about organizing a special women-oriented event

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> Granted, the "only contribution [..] I can identify as having come
> from a man" is a bit strong and could be perhaps be misunderstood as
> "all man do things like that" (which would in my eyes be sexist),
> but if you want no longer stated anything that can be misunderstood
> then hardly anything can be said.

The reason why the comment appears to be sexist to at least a few of
us[1] is because it attributes motives to an individual based purely
on their perceived gender, and attempts to extrapolate from that to
the motives of all individuals with that gender.

My own personal involvement and interest in -women is to work to
rectify imbalances and discrimination based on gender (or perceived
gender) in Debian. I'm certainly not interested in being involved in
perpetuating them. [Discrimination is a pernicious weed; it cannot be
tolerated.]

Don Armstrong

1: In fact, I actually wrote privately about it when I first read it.
--
An elephant: A mouse built to government specifications.
 -- Robert Heinlein _Time Enough For Love_ p244