Re: "Debian women may leave due to 'sexist' post"

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 10:57:03PM -0500, Elizabeth Krumbach wrote:
> I'm sure many of you on the list have already seen this:
>
> "Debian women may leave due to 'sexist' post":
> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22320/1090/1/0/
>
> And much of the related discussion. I'm surprised there hasn't been
> discussion about it on this list. How are others feeling about all of
> this?

Debian is a big group, er, community. There are many developers,
maintainers, translators, and contributers. A large percentage have very
little contact with -devel and just do their bit. But that means they
will never be in a position to be *-ist towards folks in such a public
forum. Then there are the few who post on -devel or -project that made
*-ist comments. So are you saying that the conduct of a few folks on
-devel or -project is sufficient for you to leave? Or an 'insufficient'
response by the DPL? or by other list members? I suspect that you are
leaning towards 'yes' and also Miriam. It would be sad for Debian to
loose folks to such circumstances. I dont know how Debian as a community
can address such an issue. Would you suggest that they be thrown out?
Would there be sufficient support? If there was not, what would that
mean for Debian?

I understand that so far Ubuntu has been good in enforcing its 'code' to
limit *-ist comments on irc and MLs, which I like. I hope its the same
in 10 years.
-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|