Re: /tmp accidentally filled

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 08:46:32AM +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> Here's another simpleton question. :-(

> I managed to backup onto my / partition.  I have rm-ed most of the
> resulting  garbage.  But I am left with a 100% full /tmp and df tells me
> that this is overflow.  I therefore need to do some more deleting.  But I
> am ashamed to say that I have not explored /tmp as much as I ought to
> have, so my knowledge about what is usually/meant to be there is scant. :-(

One thing that I haven't seen anyone mention here is that /tmp is usually
not a separate filesystem, which means that a full /tmp implies a full / -
and not necessarily that there are files within /tmp itself that you should
clear out to make room.

Running 'mount' will show you a list of all mounted filesystems.  'df' will
show how much disk is used/available on each -- and "df /tmp" will show
what the mountpoint is for whatever filesystem contains /tmp (probably "/").

I understand the original problem seems to have resolved itself for you,
which is good, because figuring out how to free up space on your root
partition is normally a pain...