Re: list statistics

Hi Helen and all:

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:17:39AM +1100, Helen Faulkner wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have just discovered the following graph (doubtless a resource that I should
> have known about months ago):
>
> http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-women.png
>
> It's interesting to me to note that, while the number of posts to this list has
> varied widely, and has been relatively low for the last 3-4 months, the number
> of subscribers has kept rising at a fairly constant rate.  Why would that be?

There are a lot of people out there who still don't know anything about
d-w, when they discover the project they lurk a bit on the mailing list,
sometimes, they find the stuff interesting and join the mailing list
with the idea of participate.

IMHO, there is some kind of psychological barrier with the first mail
when you are new in a mailing, and as newcomer, it is harder start a new
thread/topic in the list, it is easier join the discussion when there is a
opened thread, and since the list is a bit quiet currently, newcomers doesn't
find the time to sent their first mail and participate.
I'm sure in the time we have an interesting discussion (or flame ;)),
people who are being lurking in this mailing for a while, will
participate as Andread did in this thread.

> Does this mean that people are happy with the list having relatively few posts
> to it, and don't miss the vigorous discussions that we've had at times in the
> past?  (Personally I like most of the vigorous discussions, especially when they
> are productive in terms of achieving the goals of the DW projects.)

No, i'm not happy, but well, i don't miss the flames neither :)

> The slowness of the list in recent months has been worrying me, though I also
> haven't had time to try to do much about it.

Same here.

> So, a couple of questions (these have been asked before, and will probably be
> asked again in the future):
>
>  Is the Debian Women project meeting your needs?  How could it do so better?

Yes, it *did*. In my case, it helped (and encouraged) me some time ago.
I don't know whether d-w can do anything more for me or not, but i'm
still worried about how encourage more woman to participate in Debian.

>  Do you think the Debian Women project is still helping to encourage more women
> to be involved in Debian?

No, i think we're very quiet. The one thing we keep doing is visibility,
we're now a known sub-project inside Debian.

>  Do you think it is still needed to encourage the involvement of women?

Absolutely!
The percentage of women maintaining packages inside debian is hardly 1%,
and only 2 women more became DD since the project began. Although the
percentage of girls in NM is not so bad, but it is so sloooooooooow :(

Ana