Re: A list for D-W translators

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 09:14:22PM +0600, || स्वक्ष || svaksha  wrote:
> > What has prevented you from doing such work so far?

> at this moment all I can think of is :
> 1] Not having simple howtos on how to begin for non-geeks.
> 2] Lack of Unicode support for Sanskrit and Marathi (which is now
> hopefully solved)
> 3] ... more later ...

> > Is there anything that we (Debian or Debian-Women) could do to make it easier
> > for you to do Debian translation work)?

> Yes please :-)  Since Ubuntu is Debian based I am asking this here.
> The only problem I had was with the UTF-8 unicode character encoding
> not rendering correctly.  I did ask the Rosetta users list but there
> was no reply.
> Example :  The signature has the Sanskrit/Devanagari script (which
> includes Hindi, Marathi, etc..)  which has only 3 consonants
> (sa+va+ksha).

> The Consonant Sandhi [1] is : sa (half Consonant) + va (full) + ksha
> (ka + sha)

> Below you will see it is rendered as four full consonants with
> diatrical markings to denote a half consonant. This makes reading very
> difficult resulting is pronounciation mistakes.  There is more bit I
> shall leave it for later :-)

This would depend entirely on the quality of Unicode support in the
program each subscriber is using to view the mail, however.  Your best bet
is to bring your issues to the upstream developers of whichever particular
program you're concerned with; Debian doesn't have the expertise/manpower to
fix all possible Unicode issues in upstream code.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer