Re: A list for D-W translators

Hello Everyone !!

On 7/29/05, Helen Faulkner <helen@debian.org> wrote:
> Now I am interested:
>
> How many people on this mailing list are interested in doing translation work
> but have not yet done any for Debian?

I translate for Ubuntu using Rosetta for Sanskrit and Marathi. I am
not sure how it is integrated eventually but I would like to know.
We are doing the translation for each package and the Rosetta
interface is simple, nice and well organized.

> What has prevented you from doing such work so far?

at this moment all I can think of is :
1] Not having simple howtos on how to begin for non-geeks.
2] Lack of Unicode support for Sanskrit and Marathi (which is now
hopefully solved)
3] ... more later ...

> Is there anything that we (Debian or Debian-Women) could do to make it easier
> for you to do Debian translation work)?

Yes please :-)  Since Ubuntu is Debian based I am asking this here.
The only problem I had was with the UTF-8 unicode character encoding
not rendering correctly.  I did ask the Rosetta users list but there
was no reply.
Example :  The signature has the Sanskrit/Devanagari script (which
includes Hindi, Marathi, etc..)  which has only 3 consonants
(sa+va+ksha).

The Consonant Sandhi [1] is : sa (half Consonant) + va (full) + ksha
(ka + sha)

Below you will see it is rendered as four full consonants with
diatrical markings to denote a half consonant. This makes reading very
difficult resulting is pronounciation mistakes.  There is more bit I
shall leave it for later :-)

--
cheers,
|| स्वक्ष || svaksha

[1] Consonant Sandhi :: Combination of a final consonant with an
initial consonant or vowel. There are three kinds of Sandhi:
1) Vowel Combinations (Vowel Sandhi)
2) Visargá Combinations (Visargá Sandhi)
3) Consonant Combinations (Consonant Sandhi)