Re: Tech stuff on d-women (Was: errors building a .deb)

On 5/1/05, Sonia Hamilton <sonia@snowfrog.net> wrote:

> Hmmm... I kinda like seeing tech stuff on d-women, especially from other
> women - it's encouraging. But I can see your point about d-mentors being
> a bigger pool.
>
> What do others think?

I don't think tech talk is off-topic for this list, or that it should
be discouraged.  However, I do think that one of the goals of the
Debian-Women project is to get women more involved with the Debian
project, which includes helping them integrate into existing spaces
and take advantage of the vast knowledge available within the Debian
community as a whole.

If someone feels that they are simply not comfortable asking their
tech question on the standard Debian list for the topic, then of
course it is better for them to ask the d-w list than to not pose the
question at all.  However, I would encourage people to at least check
out the archives of the standard Debian list, to see if it might be a
friendly/welcoming enough group that they could feel comfortable
asking it there.

Debian-mentors in particular is a polite community, where even
FAQ-type questions like "how do i get bcome debian developer so i can
get c00l @debian.org email addy?" are answered without flames ;-).

- Colleen