Re: Tech stuff on d-women (Was: errors building a .deb)

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 09:35:42AM +0200, Patricia Jung wrote:

> -Debian Women should, in my opinion, have quite a technical focus. Don't
> move technical discussion out of here to those places that often are
> perceived to be discouraging to women. You'll end up with the status quo
> we already see everywhere.

Though I understand the point here, I must disagree that Deban Woman should
have a technical focus. There are plenty of facets of Debian that need to be
filled that aren't necessarily coding-related (translations, documentations,
web page, relations, etc.) - and pushing a forum into a technical-only focus
doesn't exactly invite and encourage others who may not feel comfortable
with their technical skills to participate. Debian Women, as it was
intended, is an outreach to help encourage others (especially women) to
become involved in this kind of a community. Perhaps later those who become
involved will become more interested and curious with the technical aspect
(a rather large one, but remember, not the *only*) and we can help point
them in the right direction.

I agree that specific technical questions should be taken to the mentors
list - not because I don't like seeing them here, but rather because 1)
as was pointed out earlier, there's a much larger pool of people who can
assist and 2) Debian Women was specifically *not supposed to* encourage
people to hide behind it as a clique and not become more active in the
community at large. Remember, Debian Women is part of a whole, and to be
successful, has to be able to encourage others to reach out to the other
areas of Debian comfortably. (As I understand, that seems to be the ultimate
goal in starting Debian Women.)

I could be wrong, of course, and welcome Amaya or Erinn to smack my hands
for jumping the gun and not waiting for their responses to the question.
However, given the "historical" start of Debian Women, I think it would be a
rather... questionable precedent to not encourage others to participate
within other levels of Debian.

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from you; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski