Re: [wiki] questions

* HEGEDUS Hajnalka <heha@aszt.inf.elte.hu> [2005:08:15 18:15 +0200]:
> Hi All,

Hi :)

> For me it seems translating the wiki to languages will encourage people to
> add contents in their languages. Is that what we really want? If not maybe
> we should emphasize somewhere, that new content should be added preferably
> in English.

Well, content in English is preferable, but if people can't do that,
they can write it in their native language. With some exceptions, I
think that people who are completely unable to write in English aren't
the rule and there's a good chance that someone will come along who can
translate it back into English (if such a person does not exist
already). In short: yeah, I think writing content is fine however it's
done.

> Probably there will be people who have something useful to be put on the
> wiki, but don't think their English is good enough to do it. Maybe we
> should add a note about they should ask the contact person for their
> language for help. I don't know if it is really necessary (it seems I'm
> the only Hungarian speaking member this time, so for me it's really
> theoretical), but maybe there are language groups where there's some need
> for it.

I think this is a good idea.

> If I know well, we should name translated pages the same as the English
> originals to be able to keep track. Though I don't know what to do with
> the grouping of pages. For example where should I put the translation for
> PmWiki/TextFormattingRules? Shall we create a language directory under
> each directory or vice versa?

I'm actually not sure how to do this -- if Thierry's paying attention,
he can probably comment. If you can figure out how to do it, I say go
for it. :)

> Is there a way to get all the files present in the wiki listed somehow? It
> would be more convenient to browse a list to find out which pages are
> still to translate than to go around pages, looking for links with ?s.

I don't know how to do this either, but I'll poke Thierry just in case
he's missed this.

--
off the chain like a rebellious guanine nucleotide