Re: Some thoughts regarding DW

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 11:03:26AM +0200, Jutta Wrage wrote:
> Am 16.08.2005 um 06:06 schrieb Penny Leach:
>
> >I don't understand why it 'might hurt people extremely' - it got
> >fixed,
> >people had a discussion about it. Why is that extremely hurtful?

> Runnng with open eyes around seeing how people always find thousands
> of reasons not to have accessibility and nothing have done wrong,
> might not influence you?

> A technical discussion about tthat might be interesting. But that
> kind of discussion, where you get thousand of arguments including
> don't use lynx, why things f´have not to be corrected, is not the
> right way.

> It is about the way how to handle such concerns. You might fix and
> discuss _afterwords_.

> I others feel fine with the situation that one feels as a beggar when
> pointing out accessibility issus, that is fine. I for me do not like
> that.

The thing that bothers me the most about this entire argument (and stupid
argument, I might add, considering that it's over and done with and it was
FIXED already - so continuing the bickering does nothing but... continue the
bickering) is that you're making it sound like people *don't* care about
accessibility, and not only that, but the tone of this entire thread is that
it was our *goal* to make the website inaccessible to certain parties.

I may be more of a lurker than contributor (can anyone tell me if donating
my husband is considered contribution?), however, I think I can safely say
that in no way, shape or form was Debian or Debian-Women trying to make one
of their websites inaccessible to others, so please stop trying to declare
that we're all a bunch of heartless, uncaring fools who think only Mozilla
browsers are "worthy" because *IT'S NOT TRUE*.

Why were people discussing the issue before fixing it? Because having a plan
for an action is *always* better than jumping in head first with no idea
what to do - getting there, then thinking 'Huh, I guess we could've done it
*this* way instead' when damage has already been done. Does it actively
*hurt* people if developers and web people are discussing an issue brought
to them? Well, I certainly hope not. It's entirely possible that someone
went after someone else with a ballbat because of a discussion, but I
certainly don't think that's the case here.

I'm sure there are a lot of miscommunications and misunderstandings that
have run amock through this entire thread. I want to ensure this is not one
misunderstanding that continues to drain resources, so I will state one more
time:

DEBIAN WOMEN IS NOT TRYING TO MAKE THE WEBSITE INACCESSIBLE TO ANYONE. THIS
IS NOT A GOAL OF DEBIAN WOMEN.

Thank you.

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from you; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski