Re: Some thoughts regarding DW

* Jutta Wrage <jw@witch.westfalen.de> [2005:08:15 20:48 +0200]:
> The last one was one thing, that hurt me extremly, even if I for
> myself can use graphical browsers. But there are people that have to
> rely on lynx.

FYI, we fixed this the same day you brought it up.

> - - - How will d-w handle women, who are just users and search for
> support do learn more about their Debian-System?

The same way we've always handled them: by helping them.

> - - - Will the activities of the d-w members stick to forcing d-w in
> the future as main goal? [2]

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you clarify?

> - - - How will d-w handle problems, when women feel they are threatened
> by sexists inside debian-project? Will there be a place they can go
> to without meetings men mostly?

Hum, OK, so this is a sort of scary question, though perhaps not a bad
one. If I said they could come to me and/or (list of people), how would
this information be shared? It makes me uncomfortable to assume it may
happen, especially given Debian's current environment -- that is, in
general, I think it's unlikely for anyone to be sexually harassed
publicly and I'm not entirely sure of what can be done if there's a
private transgression.

> - - - In all the users groups, channels you see about much less then 5%
> real women (not only having female nick). So, assuming d-w will not
> work on getting more female users, how does the project want to
> increase the number of female developers?

Do you have any ideas of how we can get more users? Right now we're
drawing from existing pools of female users, but it's not clear to me
how we're supposed to create more users.

> - - - Who is Debian-Women? Who makes the decisions? Women only? Project
> Leader (which is not a DD, but the project is a Debian project)? Core
> members (who are those)? Random people in #debian-women? Everyone at
> his/her own, but some are not allowed?

The decisions appear to be made in groups and generally anyone can put
forth an idea and if enough people agree on it, it will be put into
action. I'm not sure what kind of decisions you refer to, though. Using
the website as an example, as long as someone has access to make
changes, they're basically given free reign. Whether people take
advantage of this or not is usually a personal thing.

> - - - How will d-w (like other parts of Debian do) respect that not all
> people can express their thoughts as good in english as native
> speakers can do?

What have we been doing wrong in this regard?

--
off the chain like a rebellious guanine nucleotide