Re: adding gender field on debian developer's database (from debian-devel)

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 08:26:45AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting fabienne s (fabienne@fabienne.us):
> > hello d-w,

> > so i'm interested in what you think here on the list about including
> > someone's gender (i *think* that's what he meant by "sex" below) in the
> > debian developer's database?  has this guy never seen the list on debian
> > women of developers and women in the nm queue? (see email quoted below
> > from debian-devel)

> Well, if you follow the video from the talk of Erinn and Magni at
> Debconf, you'll see someone suggesting exactly this (namely
> myself). This should be about 1 hour from the beginning (I don't have
> the video here).

> This triggered a lot of reactions and not all of them were
> positive. Most of the people reacting against it raised that this
> would make us enter a kind of grey area where non technical
> information is put in the database.

Isn't mailing address information just as non-technical as a "sex" field
would be, or the oft-requested jpegPhoto field?

I'd rather have a birthdate field anyway, so DDs can be duly harrassed
whenever they turn a year older. :-)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer