Re: Harrassment, sexism, etc. (was: DW quotes)

On 19/06/2005, at 1:45 AM, Herman Robak wrote:

Sorry, Herman, I should have said. These were older boys, and sadly,
it got worse and worse as time went on.

 If the school let that go on, I find it really disturbing.
(Little of that children and adolecents do disturb me. Call me cynic...)

[Me too. I taught teenagers for many years, and got to the stage that iron garbage bins crashing through the windows, or being attacked in my own classroom didn't disturb me at all. I think it's some kind of shock adaptation. ;) ]

It is a disturbing thing that there are still places where this sort of behaviour is tolerated, and that any number of people want to behave in that way. I can't go into details here, since it's her private life and the details are really dreadful, but it did get progressively worse, and it's taken her years to get over it.

I wish I could say it was unusual, but the reason I mentioned it here was to show how usual it is: we grow up with this sort of thing, it's always present in our lives. It shouldn't be.

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc