Re: DW quotes

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Andrew Suffield (asuffield@debian.org):
> > definition of 'polite', and that it will never happen that everything
> > you encounter does meet it. So you just have to learn how to deal with
> > it.
>
> You mean that we have to learn how to deal with *your* definition of
> being polite?

Yes, basically. You deal with it either by accepting it, or by
discarding communication[1] by those who do not meet whatever
politeness norms you have.

You're still free to inform someone that what they are doing does not
meet your politeness norms, but they're just as free to disagree with
you and continue behaving appropriatly to their own norms.

Don Armstrong

1: Either through technical means, or by removing yourself from the
stream of communication.
--
I never until now realized that the primary job of any emoticon is to
say "excuse me, that didn't make any sense." ;-P