Re: DW quotes

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:00:52 +0200, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

If DW tries to keep an environment with only friendly encounters,
that's great. I'd still say that you can actually learn for life
from exposing yourself to Debian and *not* taking personal attacks
serious.

 There are some learning experiences that I would be quite
happy to live without, thank you.  I can't blame Miriam for
thinking likewise.

  You have to learn that non-personal communication media are
(a) easy to abuse for insults (you don't have to look into the
person's face), and (b) often the grounds for misunderstandings.

 You are stating the obvious.  Yet that only explains why online
fora devolve into flamefests so easily.  It is a likely tendency,
but not necessarily an inevitable one.  If your premise were that
a hostile, sleazy or immature tone is totally unacceptable,
you would hardly have recommended "learn for life from exposing
yourself to Debian".

 Why would I advise against "learn for life from exposing yourself"?
Because it may teach you some really questionable habits!

--
Herman Robak,
herman at skolelinux no