Re: For the translators

On 15/06/2005, at 9:10 AM, Erinn Clark wrote:

Hello my pretties,

<preens>

We have a lot of people who want to translate the website and stuff on
the wiki lately.

Ain't it grand? :D

I don't know anything about translations, but I was
thinking it may be appropriate to make a Contact page, link it from the main website's menu, and then on the page have a contact person for each
section or whatever. In the case of translation, it may be helpful for
the translators to create a HOWTO page (wiki or main website) or
whatever so people can get started and know who to ask for help when
they get stuck.

Any volunteers for being a contact person?

I've started doing a bit of this anyway, so I'd be willing to do it, as long as I don't have to be available at certain times (illness prevents that sort of planning, but I'll always get back to you when I can), and I can learn on the job. ;)

However, I'd really rather build a translation team, so we can all support each other. I think a wiki page for the team, including a translation howto, would be a good start. I notice there is now a TranslationsInProgress page in the wiki (thankyou, stealth wiki-er): we could start there. Evidently someone has started all this, so I'd be happy just to help out. :)

I've added to the first page, including a howto link, and I've started that. Feedback and additions very welcome.

I was really delighted to see support for my translation of the wiki, and for Thierry's efforts in helping me, on the D-W front page. Thankyou very much. :)

Here are a couple of current holdups in the translation-page process:

1. How do D-Ws who currently don't have their Profiles up, add them? I put the link in, but I can't see info on how to add one's profile (so mine is a dead link for now). Also the Profiles page doesn't seem to have anchors for separate profiles: they would be useful as the page grows, and for creating specific links to specific profiles.

2. Introducing a new language to the wiki currently means posting here and asking for its link to be created. Do we want that to continue, or do we want to put that choice in the hands of the translators? I can see points for both.

Thierry, if you're the lucky person ;) with the job of doing this, how do you see it? Should we spread the load, or is this a useful control point?

Meanwhile, could you please add Hungarian? Hajni and I have been talking about her translating the wiki into her language (her idea). She's a great asset: I really look forward to us having a D-W translation team.

We have a terrific start here. :) So much great work done already, and so much we can do as a team from now.

/me meditates a D-W flag in all languages, and/or a t-shirt

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc