Re: Sexist Behaviour in Debian Women

On Tuesday 14 December 2004 10:42 pm, Helen Faulkner wrote:

> Hello All,

Hello Helen,

> The major aim of the Debian Women channel is to increase the participation
> of women in Debian.  I expect that all of you know about that, agree with
> it, etc.
>
> That being stated, I believe that it is conducive to that aim, and to what I
> would call our basic feminist philosophy, to have as an aim for the group
> that we will not tolerate sexist behaviour of any form.  (We're also not
> into racists, ageist, or any other nasty-ist behaviour you might think of).
>   I am certain that most of you would agree with that.
>
> Given that, I am extremely disappointed to see that there was some very
> sexist behaviour occuring on the #debian-women channel over the last few
> hours.  It was primarily directed by women at men.  I see that
> misunderstanding and heated comments occured on *both* sides of the
> discussion, but the main thing I observe is that it was not accepted for a
> man on the channel to make the observation that there exist contexts in
> which men are disadvantaged as compared to women.  This comment was no more
> off-topic than many comments made on the channel, and infact I believe it
> was a relevant one and could have formed the basis of an interesting
> discussion, was it not for the sexist behaviour that it provoked.

It wasn't the topic, and it wasn't sexism- it was reacting to someone who was
deliberately misconstruing what people were saying, and going out of his way
to take offense. Pretty much any topic goes on the channel, it's being
obnoxious that gets people riled up.

Carla Schroder
check out my new book, the "Linux Cookbook", the ultimate Linux user's
and sysadmin's guide! http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxckbk/
this message brought to you
by Libranet 2.8 and Kmail