[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: The prevailing Debian culture

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 05:03:10PM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Friday 20 August 2004 4:15 pm, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 11:04:42AM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> > > There is no such thing as a rational dialog with 
> > > people of this ilk, because their goal is not to engage in any kind of 
> > > constructive communication. It's all about disruption, pointless arguing, 
> and 
> > > attention-getting at any cost.
> > 
> > You're going to have a *really* hard time finding people in Debian who
> > fit that description.
> LOL! You haven't been reading this list, have you. 

Every single mail, from the archives. There haven't exactly been
many. There have been *none* who fit this description (disregarding
spam and viruses; I don't recall if any have slipped through, but it's
irrelevant anyway).

> > > Don't you think it's unfair to the people who are helpful, and 
> > > useful, and who really contribute to the project, to force them to put up 
> > > with that lot?
> > 
> > Anybody who has any trouble dealing with the sort of thing you
> > describe, is *far* too unstable to be allowed anywhere near package
> > maintainance, or anything else involving users.
> Oh that's good, trash all kinds of people you know nothing about.

I know precisely one thing about them, which is the thing that I
defined the group with, and I draw conclusions based on that thing.

> > > And I think it damages Debian, because you lose good people 
> > > who can find plenty of projects that are not infested with trolls and 
> various 
> > > other destructive idiots.
> > 
> > I find this comment monumentally amusing for its naivete. Anything
> > with so few people that none of them are idiots is too small to
> > deserve the label "project".
> Baloney. There are many groups and communities that are not blessed with 
> people like JW and MJR. 

Continuing to be very amusing.

> > > I have yet to meet anyone who is so wonderful and gifted and indispensible 
> > > that they can be excused from showing common courtesy.
> > 
> > I have yet to meet two people who shared a definition of "common
> > courtesy". That's where your argument falls down really. You can sit
> > around all day and agree that it would be better if people were
> > "nicer" or "more polite", but you will *never* reach agreement about
> > what that means, and you'll probably find your notions are
> > fundamentally incompatible with those of at least some other people.
> Legalistic nitpicking. Where there are differences, reasonable people of 
> goodwill try to find common ground. Why are you defending poor behavior? 

Because that common ground is a myth, and the only poor behaviour *I*
see here is yours. I see only one person throwing accusations about
other people's motivations (which are blatantly invented), and using
these accusations as a basis to dismiss them and their arguments
(which is fallacious; motivation for positing an argument *never*
determines the validity of the argument).

Now, what was that you were saying about "courtesy" and "common
ground"? Your definition seems to be diametrically opposed to mine.

> > > It is pretty bad- I'm 
> > > involved in a lot of online communities, and Debian is definitely the 
> worst 
> > > of the lot.
> > 
> > Eris' beard, where have you *been*?
> > 
> What does that mean? That because my experiences are different from yours, 
> mine are not valid? 

That I cannot reconcile them with the world I know.

> I don't even know why you are here, except to snipe. Do you have anything 
> positive to contribute? Since you apparently don't like anything about D-W, 
> why are you here? Any dolt can be against anything, that takes zero ability 
> or intelligence. It's a lot harder to be constructive.

It is very easy to construct something; any child can do it. It is far
harder to construct something worthwhile, and even more so to discard
the parts that are not.

  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux ** | Andrew Suffield
 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |
 `. `'                          |
   `-             -><-          |

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

Reply to: