Re: The prevailing Debian culture

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 11:04:42AM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> There is no such thing as a rational dialog with
> people of this ilk, because their goal is not to engage in any kind of
> constructive communication. It's all about disruption, pointless arguing, and
> attention-getting at any cost.

You're going to have a *really* hard time finding people in Debian who
fit that description.

> Don't you think it's unfair to the people who are helpful, and
> useful, and who really contribute to the project, to force them to put up
> with that lot?

Anybody who has any trouble dealing with the sort of thing you
describe, is *far* too unstable to be allowed anywhere near package
maintainance, or anything else involving users.

> And I think it damages Debian, because you lose good people
> who can find plenty of projects that are not infested with trolls and various
> other destructive idiots.

I find this comment monumentally amusing for its naivete. Anything
with so few people that none of them are idiots is too small to
deserve the label "project".

> I have yet to meet anyone who is so wonderful and gifted and indispensible
> that they can be excused from showing common courtesy.

I have yet to meet two people who shared a definition of "common
courtesy". That's where your argument falls down really. You can sit
around all day and agree that it would be better if people were
"nicer" or "more polite", but you will *never* reach agreement about
what that means, and you'll probably find your notions are
fundamentally incompatible with those of at least some other people.

> It is pretty bad- I'm
> involved in a lot of online communities, and Debian is definitely the worst
> of the lot.

Eris' beard, where have you *been*?

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |