Re: Helping with the port?

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 06:59:19PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]

That makes sense. I take it the port will be sticking with that
approach? Personally, I think I might favour using POSIX_SEMANTCS -- I
guess you can still get to other drives using /cygdrive (or whatever you
set the mapping to be).

> > Is there a compelling reason why these legacy systems should be a
> target
> > for the port? To my mind win9x is a dying platform with many technical
> > limitations; likewise FAT. Supporting them would be nice, but I'd
> class
> > that as an additional goal once the system is up and running well on
> NT
> > with NTFS. Perhaps that's just me?
>
> I cannot say if there is or isn't a compelling reason. Cygwin currently
> jumps through hoops to provide the level of support for win9x it does,
> and as an open source application, whilst contributors test and submit
> bug reports, I'm sure that the code will remain.

Agreed.

> If debian-win32
> leverages cygwin, I think it would be premature to limit the platforms,
> until forced to.

Sure, I just feel it would be a shame to limit functionality because
something wouldn't work on FAT or Win9x. (Of course I would see it that
way, since I use NT and NTFS...)

> How many ':''s are used in base-config?

The real acid test -- zero on my boxen, one of which has 615 packages
installed. One to worry about later, then   =)

--
John Ineson
`AOL is the largest ISP in the world. AOL has the most subscribers in the world.