Re: Bug 314808, /srv and webapps.

hey,

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 03:38:08PM +1000, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 01:07:25AM -0400, sean finney wrote:
> > say you have a php app that has some php include libraries and some
> > other stuff, you might want to have them seperated out like:
> >
> > /usr/share/foo/www <- web documents
> > /usr/share/foo/include <- php include files
>
> PHP includes usually sit in the www accessible directory. This might be
> confusing.

one of the big things we're pushing for is to provide a better way to
move those includes *out* of the web accessible directory, as it can
potentially be a security concern and there's no real reason that it has
to be in there in the first place.

> > /usr/share/foo/scripts <- other helper scripts that don't belong in /usr/bin
>
> Do you have an example? I keep "dodgy" scripts in
> /usr/share/doc/foo/example

for example, say you have a php webapp, that has a nightly cron job that
needs to run a shell script that it doesn't make sense to hold in
/usr/{bin,sbin}.  or, say the cronjob calls something in /usr/bin, which
then executes a bunch of helper scripts owned by your package.

> > /usr/share/foo/data <- other non web data, like xml or text files
>
> A data store off /usr/share/foo/ ? Sounds strange.

well you couldn't keep the data in /usr/share/foo/ if /usr/share/foo/
was the web root, which is the point at which i was getting.

> And should the Debian package maintain it directly?

maintain what?

> README.Debian files could encourage users to setup their Web
> applications with /srv/www/HTTP_HOST. Instead of Aliases etc.

a very large point of this discussion is many users and maintainers
wish package installation to be as automatic as possible (or for there
to at least be a way for this to be the case).  if all we're doing is
putting something in a README file, then there is no automagic
installation.  if there is going to be automatic installation, and
we're not touching the document root, some form of aliasing will need
to take place.

	sean