Re: Bug 314808, /srv and webapps.

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 01:07:25AM -0400, sean finney wrote:
> say you have a php app that has some php include libraries and some
> other stuff, you might want to have them seperated out like:
>
> /usr/share/foo/www <- web documents
> /usr/share/foo/include <- php include files

PHP includes usually sit in the www accessible directory. This might be
confusing.

> /usr/share/foo/scripts <- other helper scripts that don't belong in /usr/bin

Do you have an example? I keep "dodgy" scripts in
/usr/share/doc/foo/example

> /usr/share/foo/data <- other non web data, like xml or text files

A data store off /usr/share/foo/ ? Sounds strange.

And should the Debian package maintain it directly?

> > Don't really need a tool, just a convention.
> > I agree with you in the sense that Debian packages should not drop or
> > maintain stuff in /srv.
> i'm confused by these two remarks then.  if there's a convention to
> place files in srv, how are debian packages not placing stuff in /srv?

README.Debian files could encourage users to setup their Web
applications with /srv/www/HTTP_HOST. Instead of Aliases etc.