Re: Bug 314808, /srv and webapps.

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 02:19:51PM +1000, Kai Hendry wrote:
> > /usr/share/wordpress/www or something similar, so that if you
> > ever have files/scripts/includes that don't need to be in the
> > web accessible directory, you can do so easily.  it also makes
> > it clear to the local admin what files are web-related.
>
> For example what sort of files aren't required in the web accessible
> directory?

say you have a php app that has some php include libraries and some
other stuff, you might want to have them seperated out like:

/usr/share/foo/www <- web documents
/usr/share/foo/include <- php include files
/usr/share/foo/scripts <- other helper scripts that don't belong in /usr/bin
/usr/share/foo/data <- other non web data, like xml or text files

the idea is that it doesn't do any harm to do this, and gives you the
flexibility to do stuff mentioned above.

> > for exactly why steve mentioned.  from my reading of the FHS and debian
> > policy, /srv is closer to /opt or /usr/local wrt how we should be
> > handling it, which means we don't plop files in there.  there was some
> > discussion of a tool to help manage copies of sites in /srv, but this
>
> Don't really need a tool, just a convention.
>
> I agree with you in the sense that Debian packages should not drop or
> maintain stuff in /srv.

i'm confused by these two remarks then.  if there's a convention to
place files in srv, how are debian packages not placing stuff in /srv?

	sean