Re: templates, static documents, and plugins

This one time, at band camp, sean finney said:
> hi,
>
> On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 09:39:27AM +0200, Alexis Sukrieh wrote:
> > Well, ucf might be a good idea. I already use it in bugzilla for
> > moving a config file. But note that if we use ucf for moving every
> > static files to the right location, the user will be prompted for a
> > merge if the files changed from previous version.
>
> they would only be prompted if they modified the file *and* the
> "static" version of the file changed.
>
> > IMHO, the first thing to do will be to claim that "static files
> > under /usr/share/$package must not be touched".  Then, we can
> > implement such a system (with ucf).
>
> i agree.  it wouldn't be too hard to throw together a tool that
> registered and tracked these "copy" directories, and when a package
> was updated there could be a hook in the postinst script to look for
> all of these directories.  a cron job could help out too.

This is what /etc/$package is for.  If the templates/plugins/whatever
are admin modifiable, then they should go under /etc/.  Trying to hack
around dpkg wanting to overwrite files under /usr/share is only going to
cause a lot of work for little gain.  ucf would be a lot of help for
these files, however.

For this, I would suggest registering the file with ucf on first
install, and then there will be no false prompts (e.g., if ucf gets
called to track a merge, but doesn't know about the file, it will always
prompt by default)
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |