Re: Web applications specific issues

Le Mardi 3 Mai 2005 16:44, sean finney a écrit :
> hey pierre,
>
> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 04:24:42PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > well, I guess my english is terrible. but let's take imp.
>
> au moins, je suis certain que tu peux parler anglais meilleur que je
> peux parler français :)

not sure ;p

> i think that doesn't really accomplish anything that couldn't be done
> in the http server configs.

well, my proposition allow to do automatic processing. the current state
of web apps is frustrating in debian, since you have to do a *lot*
mannually. even if documented, that's painful.

maybe I want to automatize too much, but I believe you want to
automatize too few ;)

> > > that's not true, most applications (at least ones that don't
> > > require daemons) do work on a per-vhost level, though the local
> > > admin has to do some work to get them to work.
> >
> > disagreed. the apps that have daemons (like the python servers that
> > also embeds their own http server) are vhost-aware and provide a
> > global config file, that is able to configure every single vhost.
>
> well, then you're furthering my point :).  my concern with daemons is
> that the init scripts may not handle multiple instances of the daemon
> well.

that's not a web-app centric. the problem is the same for any daemon in
debian (I have a lot of examples in mind) but ususally, those problems
are very specific to some peculiar uses of the apps.

a twistd python server usualy handles vhosting (with different databases
config per vhost, and stuff like that) on their own. They are related
to our concerns because they speak HTTP, and that one may want to use
apache mod_proxy to talk to them, and they will also interact with
php/perl/.. more "classical" apps.

They will have the same problems wrt templating, and SGDB though. But
the multiple instance problem is often not accurate for those.

> in any case, i agree that in an ideal world we would be able to
> say, to be in debian, your php lib/app must do blah blah blah.
> however, i'm not sure that's possible, if only for political reasons.
>  i guess it wouldn't hurt to try though.

honnestly, I don't care if one upstream is frustrated because we won't
ship their package in stable. We may define the fact that if an app
does not fit to our requirements, it will have an open RC bug that
prevents any stable migration. thus that would allow some preliminary
packaging, and though showing that we are wanting to package the app,
but also saying that it currently does not fits debian quality
standards.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O