Re: white listing packages in contrib???

Andreas Barth, on dim. 17 déc. 2017 10:42:49 +0100, wrote:
> * Samuel Thibault (sthibault@debian.org) [171217 10:37]:
> > FI, with quick scripting I'm ending up with the following list of
> > contrib packages which have a *build-time* dependency on non-free, which
> > we thus currently have to build by hand:
>
> AFAIR the debian policy, it's not allowed to have a dependency from
> contrib to non-free. This includes both binary and source (i.e.
> build-time) dependencies.

Uh?

I thought contrib was *meant* for that.

“
The *contrib* archive area contains supplemental packages intended to
work with the Debian distribution, but which require software outside of
the distribution to either build or function.
”

> Other than that, I wouldn't recommend to take the legal responsibility
> to build against non-free packages.

For contrib packages it's up to the maintainer to manage that, and he
does that already by specifying the Build-Depends. Contrib packages
can even be built by hand by the maintainer without saying how (i.e.
dependencies not even in contrib or non-free).

We could introduce Non-Free-Build-Depends & co. to let maintainers be
explicit about knowing it's coming from non-free.

Samuel