Re: Giving back to a particular buildd

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 08:36:18PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the Haskell team maintains (besides a lot of unproblematic) a handful of
> package that require a lot of resources (mostly RAM) when building. On
> some architectures, these packages can only be built by certain buildds,
> while they are failing on others. So far, I have observed buildd admins
> just repeatedly giving back packages in question until the "right"
> buildd machine picked it up.

What I have noticed on hppa is that ghc is just taking 100% CPU
time all the time.  Trying it on a different buildd is unlikely
to change the result, and setting the timeout higher is also
unlikely to be helping.  All hppa buildds have 4 GB ram or more and
I've only seen ghc use like 250 MB.  I have no idea what the problem
is, but just retrying clearly isn't helping.

Not sure what the status is on other arches.

> Would it be possible to improve this situation? I don't know that part
> of the wanna-build suite (nor any of the sbuild/buildd code), but I
> could imagine either
>  * a field in the database, optionally specifying for each source
> package/arch tuple, the list of buildds that are allowed to take the
> source

We currently don't have this option.  And this is probably
something useful to have.

> or
>  * a local bit of configuration on the buildd site, listing packages
> that _this_ buildd should not build.

We have this option now, but it's only used for a small amount of
problematic packages.

> Which would fit the general scheme of things better? Does wanna-build
> decide who gets to build what, or do the buildds pick their choice of
> package? I'd probably try to provide a patch when I'm pointed in the
> right direction.

buidd does wanna-build --list=needs-build, buildd then takes the
first of that list that isn't in it's exclude (or low priority)
list.

Kurt