Re: Giving back to a particular buildd

Hi,

Am Montag, den 28.06.2010, 23:26 +0200 schrieb Kurt Roeckx:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 08:36:18PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the Haskell team maintains (besides a lot of unproblematic) a handful of
> > package that require a lot of resources (mostly RAM) when building. On
> > some architectures, these packages can only be built by certain buildds,
> > while they are failing on others. So far, I have observed buildd admins
> > just repeatedly giving back packages in question until the "right"
> > buildd machine picked it up.
>
> What I have noticed on hppa is that ghc is just taking 100% CPU
> time all the time.  Trying it on a different buildd is unlikely
> to change the result, and setting the timeout higher is also
> unlikely to be helping.  All hppa buildds have 4 GB ram or more and
> I've only seen ghc use like 250 MB.  I have no idea what the problem
> is, but just retrying clearly isn't helping.
>
> Not sure what the status is on other arches.

We have identified and worked around one issue¹ and indeed, packages
like haskell-src-exts and  haskell-regex-tdfa now build at least on
hppa. Other arches we now hit hard limits (“virtual memory exhausted” on
s390, cc being killed which is usually an OOM sign). I hope there is no
other principal problem (like the one we just worked around) left.

Greetings,
Joachim

¹ When ghc grows large, fork() takes longer than the time between two
timer interrupts, causing fork() to be restarted again and again. This
is fixed in the next ghc release. Until then, it turned out that
disabling the timer completely does actually work.

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer